SolarWinds Surveys Indicate IT Professionals Are the Unsung Heroes of Modern Business; New Holiday Aims to Honor Them With First Observance on September 15, 2015
AUSTIN, TX -- (Marketwired) -- 08/27/15 --
SolarWinds (NYSE: SWI), a leading provider of powerful and affordable hybrid IT infrastructure management software, today announced it has established the third Tuesday of every September, beginning September 15, 2015, as IT Professionals Day to honor all IT professionals as the unsung heroes of modern business. In connection to IT Professionals Day, SolarWinds also released the findings of its IT Pro Value Surveys, which not only demonstrate the value IT professionals provide, but reveal opportunity for business leaders and end users to show greater appreciation toward IT professionals.
IT Professionals Day
IT Professionals Day is designed to annually celebrate all IT professionals regardless of discipline. Whereas holidays such as System Administrator Appreciation Day do well at recognizing one category of the profession, IT Professionals Day honors not only system administrators, but network engineers, database administrators, information security professionals, developers, IT support technicians and all other professionals serving in IT-related roles.
"We're very excited to be a part of establishing IT Professionals Day as a way to honor all IT pros for the amazing work they do to keep business moving at the lightning speed required for success today," said Kevin Thompson, President and Chief Executive Officer, SolarWinds. "When you think about what a typical day would look like for many of today's workers without IT pros and the technology they support, it's safe to say work on the whole would slow to a crawl or worse. Considering all they do, IT pros truly are the unsung heroes of modern business. So, on behalf of SolarWinds, thank you to all the IT pros out there. And happy IT Professionals Day 2015 and beyond."
Visit ITProDay.org to learn more.
IT Pro Value Surveys
SolarWinds' IT Pro Value Surveys are a series of two brief studies done in connection to IT Professionals Day. Their purpose is two-fold: First, explore business end users' attitudes and opinions about IT professionals and the technology they support to underscore the high value of the profession; and second, showcase IT professionals' general feeling of being undervalued to highlight an opportunity for business leaders and end users to show greater appreciation. Key findings include:
IT Pro Value Survey: The North American End User's Perspective
- Most end users (63 percent) agree that IT has a greater impact on their daily work lives than the C-suite.
- Nearly three-quarters of end users (67 percent) place greater importance on the technology supported by IT professionals in the workplace -- such as phones, computers and software -- than they do on personnel.
- Three out of five end users (63 percent) indicate work productivity is lost without the technology supported by IT professionals, with one-third (32 percent) saying one day's work would take an additional business day or longer to complete without said technology and 15 percent saying it would not at all be possible to carry out their daily work without it.
IT Pro Value Survey: The Global IT Professional's Perspective
- Three out of five IT professionals (62 percent) feel at most moderately valued by their employer for their unique contribution to business, with more than one-quarter (27 percent) feeling only slightly to not at all valued.
- Four out of five IT professionals (83 percent) feel they are worth more than they are currently compensated, with one-third (35 percent) saying they feel worth at least 21 percent more.
- The majority of IT professionals (61 percent) are concerned about job security, with almost half (42 percent) suggesting company leadership not understanding the importance of IT as a key reason why.
"The survey results demonstrate that business leaders and end users can do a lot more to show IT pros how appreciative they are of the value they provide to business," added Thompson. "The technology we rely on to keep business running smoothly is absolutely critical to success, but the level of recognition and reward IT pros receive for the part they play in enabling and supporting it may not match it. IT Professionals Day is a great way to start levelling that."
Full survey results as well as scope and demographics are available here.
SolarWinds (NYSE: SWI) provides powerful and affordable hybrid IT infrastructure management software to customers worldwide from Fortune 500® enterprises to small businesses, government agencies and educational institutions. We are committed to focusing exclusively on IT Pros, and strive to eliminate the complexity that they have been forced to accept from traditional enterprise software vendors. Regardless of where the IT asset or user sits, SolarWinds delivers products that are easy to find, buy, use, maintain, and scale while providing the power to address all key areas of the infrastructure from on premises to the Cloud. Our solutions are rooted in our deep connection to our user base, which interacts in our thwack® online community to solve problems, share technology and best practices, and directly participate in our product development process. Learn more today at www.solarwinds.com.
SolarWinds, SolarWinds & Design and thwack are the exclusive property of SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC or its affiliates. All other company and product names mentioned are used only for identification purposes and may be or are intellectual property of their respective companies.
© 2015 SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. All rights reserved.